Welcome to the YNPN-NYC Resource Page!
Looking for non-profit news or helpful management tips? Here you can find websites and documents that our membership has found to be helpful as you work to advance in the non-profit sector.
These documents and websites offer general assistance to nonprofits and employees of nonprofits in the New York City area. *Please note: the resources listed below are not formally endorsed by YNPN-NYC. They reflect the opinions of individual contributors only. Have a resource that should be on this list? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
General Nonprofit News and Reference
- IdeaEncore Network offers useful tools/templates to Nonprofit professionals. It is like Amazon or iTunes for nonprofit knowledge. On this site you can find information that will save you time and money. You can also use the site to share or sell your organizations’ information assets with the potential for creating earned income
- www.change.org – Change.org raises awareness about important causes and empowers people to take action with leading nonprofits.
- Knowledge Hub (www.newschool.edu/milano/hub) – This Internet portal, run by New School University’s Robert J. Milano Graduate School of Management and Urban Policy, links nonprofit professionals and researchers to useful free websites, resources, and full-text articles.
- Network for Good Nonprofit Resources (www.networkforgood.org/npo ) – The Internet’s leading charitable resource and an e-philanthropy site where individuals can donate, volunteer and speak out on the issues they care about. Network for Good works to advance nonprofit adoption of the Internet as a tool for fundraising, volunteer recruitment and community engagement.
- The New York City Nonprofits Project – Service Atlas (www.serviceatlas.org/nycnonprofit/) – This online directory offers exposure and networking information to New York City-based nonprofits via its listings.
- Nonprofit Times (www.nptimes.com) – Features the online version of the major news and information resource for those that work in or provide services to the sector.
- Visit our Career Center to see job postings from within the YNPN-NYC community.
- City Limits (www.citylimits.org/content/jobs/index.cfm)
- Nonprofit, Advocacy and government jobs in NYC.
- Community Career Center (www.nonprofitjobs.org/)
- National nonprofit jobs listings.
- Yahoo Careers (careers.yahoo.com)
- National nonprofit job listings in the Nonprofit/Volunteer job category.
- Idealist (www.idealist.org)
- International nonprofit news and job listings.
- Monster.com (www.monster.com)
- National nonprofit job listings in the Nonprofit job category.
- NonprofitOyster.com (www.nonprofitoyster.com)
- National nonprofit job listings.
- Nonprofit Career Network (www.nonprofitcareer.com)
- Opportunity NOCS (www.opportunitynocs.org) – National nonprofit job listings.
- Partnership for After-School Education (PASE) (www.pasesetter.com) – PASE is a city-wide (New York) professional network of after-school staff, directors, education specialists and resource providers. The site offers job listings, networking opportunities, staff training and development, technical assistance, mentoring, advocacy and resource sharing.
- Philanthropy News Digest’s Job Corner (fdncenter.org/pnd/jobs)
- Locanto Jobs New York (http://newyork.locanto.com/Jobs/J/)
- The Foundation Center’s job site has both job listings and links to other nonprofit job Web sites.
Nonprofit Infrastructure and Management
- Drucker Foundation (www.drucker.org) – The mission of the Peter F. Drucker Foundation for Nonprofit Management is “to lead social sector organizations toward excellence in performance.” It is not a grant-making organization. The site contains articles by respected thought leaders on leadership and management, and presents information on Drucker Foundation conferences, the Drucker Innovation Award, and the Hesselbein Community Innovation Fellows program.
- Fund for the City of New York (www.fcny.org) – Introduces new programs, technology, and methods to government agencies and nonprofit organizations, and helps to implement them.
- Nonprofit Coordinating Committee of New York (www.npccny.org) – Helps nonprofits meet common challenges and problems, and serves as a meeting ground to strengthen the nonprofit sector as a whole. NPCC publishes the monthly newsletter “New York Nonprofits,” offers workshops and roundtables on management issues, provides low-cost vendor services, convenes a monthly Government Relations Committee, and maintains a website with writings on matters pertaining to operating a nonprofit.
- Nonprofit Nuts & Bolts (www.nutsbolts.com) – Provides practical management ideas. Key topics include fundraising, volunteer management, public relations, special events, leadership, marketing, meetings, staff management, motivation, board relations, team building, time management, committees and technology.
- Support Center for Nonprofit Management (www.supportcenteronline.org) FRIEND OF YNPN! – The New York City-based Support Center for Nonprofit Management strengthens the capacity of nonprofit and public interest organizations to fulfill their missions and vitalize their communities. The Support Center provides management training and consulting, disseminates information and practical resources to the sector, and works to build strategic alliances.
- United Way of New York City (https://www.uwnyc.com/uwnyc/nldi/nldimenu.cfm) – United Way of New York City’s Nonprofit Leadership Development Institute creates a diverse group of professionals, who, with the appropriate training and education, will be prepared to assume executive-level responsibilities in health and human care nonprofit organizations. By providing professional development and leadership training to emerging leaders in the field, the Nonprofit Leadership Development Institute programs are strengthening NYC nonprofits’ long-term capacity to reach more New Yorkers in need.
- Taproot Foundation (www.taprootfoundation.org/) Most organizations tackling social problems don’t have access to the marketing, design, technology, management or strategic planning resources they need to succeed. Without this talent, few are able to have their intended impact on critical issues like the environment, health and education. Taproot is a nonprofit organization that makes business talent available to organizations working to improve society. Taproot engages the nation’s millions of business professionals in pro bono services both through award-winning programs and by partnering with companies to develop their pro bono programs. They envision all organizations with promising solutions will be equipped to successfully take on urgent social challenges.
Personal Finance for Nonprofit Employees
- The IRS’s withholding calculator (www.irs.gov/individuals/page/0,,id=14806,00.html) – Calculator to help you determine how much you should withold.
- Foundation Center Library (www.fdncenter.org) – The Foundation Center collects, organizes, analyzes, and disseminates information on foundations, corporate giving, and related subjects. They offer free access to their enormous library of funding oppo
rtunities, as well as a program of orientations and educational seminars.
- GuideStar (www.guidestar.org) – GuideStar is a searchable database of more than 620,000 nonprofit organizations in the United States. The GuideStar web site is produced by Philanthropic Research, Inc., a 501(c)(3) public charity founded in 1994.
- NTEN (http://www.nten.org/) – The Nonprofit Technology Enterprise Network (NTEN) is a membership association of nonprofits, technology support organizations and consultants, and funders. Their website has a number of articles and resources for those considering technology projects.
- TechSoup (www.techsoup.org/) – This website is entirely devoted to helping nonprofits effectively use technology. It provides articles and forums on a diverse set of issues – everything from coding tips to strategies for funding projects. They also have a local site focused on the New York nonprofit community at www.techsoup.org/newyork.
- United Way of New York City Tech News (www.uwnyc.org/technews) – This site features technology articles and news of interest to New York nonprofits, with a free email newsletter that summarizes the current articles.